PlayStation 3: A graphical evolution 2007 - 2013

by Gaetano 'Xbot' Prestia Featured 21 Comments 29 Votes 12057 Views 05/02/2013 Back to Articles

The PlayStation 3 is (apparently) about to meet its match in the form of a successor, a console so powerful it will probably bend space time and end the universe as we know it.

No, not really, but it does seem strange that a new console is set to be revealed (supposedly), despite current hardware being so graphically capable (at least when stacked up to other console games -- let's not start the whole "PC vs console" debate).

Although, it's probably time to start moving onto new hardware when developers maximise a console's power during development. Sure, developers are now so comfortable with the hardware that they can spend more time tinkering with gameplay mechanics, but, ERMAHGERD, the graphix!

All this talk about the PlayStation 4, it's time-bending capabilities, and upcoming PS3 exclusives got me thinking: just how far have PS3 games evolved graphically since the console launched in late-2006?

Click here for high definition goodness (file is 3.8 mb).

Link to us http://PS3.mmgn.com/Articles/playstation-3-a-graphical-evolution-2007
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

PlayStation 3: A graphical evolution 2007 - 2013 Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
lol Haze
A good majority of those are not in-game screenshots. I don't think cut scenes really show how good a consoles graphics really are. I've seen plenty of games with great cut scenes but awful graphics.
All good to say that Milky. Which Ps3 exclusive had bad graphics?

MetalDemon said: All good to say that Milky. Which Ps3 exclusive had bad graphics?

I don't play a lot of PS3, but the first 2 Resistance's graphics are very average (don't own #3). Haze's in-game graphics were average, but the cut-scenes amazing. As was the first inFamous, which likely suffered from being a much bigger game (although its graphics weren't average, just not amazing). I haven't played any of the most recent games.

I stand by my point though. Cut-scenes are just videos, they are not a true representation of the games in-game graphics.
You put a Uncharted Drakes Fortune picture for Uncharted 2.

PS3K said: You put a Uncharted Drakes Fortune picture for Uncharted 2.

Weird, I had UC3 and UC2 mixed up too. I changed this though.

Milky said:

Milky said:

Well they are, but I think as the generation has evolved we've scene most games shift to in-game cutscenes. LA Noire, for example. Most PS3 exclusives do this: the cutscenes were just as good as the gameplay moments.

Milky said:

i actually think that most games look better than the cut scenes these days and there is no denying it that heavy Rain, Uncharted 1 2 3 Ressistance 3 god of war were some of the best looking games period

And I agree, Tano, they have definitely improved over the gen.
Tano

Milky said: I didn't say all games, Heavy Rain and LA Noire are 2 that have amazing cut-scenes and gameplay.
And I agree, Tano, they have definitely improved over the gen.

Hmm I wonder if a video comparison would be a better indicator...but then each game would be further apart. It's not really an instantaneous comparison unless you do game on game, like Resistance against The Last of us.

#NewConsolesNow

Beta said: It would be interesting also to compare a 2007 "high-end" game PC game with a 2013 one, and then compare the differences with PS3 at the same time.
#NewConsolesNow

We all know this would have so many variables in regards to it. Everyone let's just play IRL, Graphics are better, but storyline is crap. =)

PS3K said: You put a Uncharted Drakes Fortune picture for Uncharted 2.

no, it actually is Uncharted 2, i've played that game over and over again till i got the platinum trophy, it's the level where yo have to find that temple with the same symbol as on the dagger.
Uncharted 2 was so hawt at the time. *_*

LRJackson said:

PS3K said: You put a Uncharted Drakes Fortune picture for Uncharted 2.

I made a ninja edit :P
weird, folklore still looks better than alot of current games >.<

Spiritwalk said: weird, folklore still looks better than alot of current games >.<

It still is: it's a stunning, great game.
I wonder what the first game on PS3 was... :O

so does Heavenly Sword
these pixelated screenshots do the games no justice!

gammaray13 said:

so does Heavenly Sword

I played that a year back and while I love the game it looks incredibly dated now imo.

This article is horrible though, those pixelated pics are an eye sore [sick]

OllyEbbz said:

gammaray13 said:

so does Heavenly Sword

This article is horrible though, those pixelated pics are an eye sore

I can't post the HD image in this thread for obvious reasons: you need to click the image (or the massive big "CLICK HERE" link) to see the image in full.

Maybe I should have made that clearer :S

Beta said:

But you could post clearer pics than the ones above, even I could lol. Looks a mess for something on the front page.