What game will be GOTY?

17201 Views 149 Posts MMGN.com
For the first time in a very long time, we actually seem to have some GREAT games coming out, and we can't forget earlier this years Portal 2.

I think we can rule Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 out, as they both don't seem to be doing anything TOO new, or even too well :/
I'm sure they'll both be good shooters, but I doubt we'll be going back to them in a few years, which is what I think really makes a great game.

So, I think the candidates we have, and please tell me if I'm forgetting any.

Portal 2
Batman Arkham City
Uncharted 3
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Skyrim

I haven't played Batman yet, but I absolutely loved Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 1 and 2, the Zelda series and Oblivion, so, I just can't wait for exams to finish so I can play all of these games :P

What do you think will be the best from those few, or if you think one I haven't mentioned will be better?

I think probably Zelda, the Nintendo magazine already called it the best Zelda game to date, though they could just be throwing that around :P
It really does look great though, hell, all of these games look great.

It's gonna be an amazing next few months regardless :D

(apologies if there's already a thread like this, I couldn't find it)

Gwizz said: What about FIFA 12? I myself can't stand sports games but this has had awesome reviews almost everywhere I look


Yea, but that's more of a refined experience then a ground-breaking or amazing game. Same reason i don't think Uncharted will win. I'd think you would need more then a refined experience to beat other amazing games.

Marge said:

Gwizz said: What about FIFA 12? I myself can't stand sports games but this has had awesome reviews almost everywhere I look


Yea, but that's more of a refined experience then a ground-breaking or amazing game. Same reason i don't think Uncharted will win. I'd think you would need more then a refined experience to beat other amazing games.



Uncharted 3 is a whole new game though, whereas Fifa 12 and all sports games build on what was done last year - that's why they never win overall.

Saying Uncharted 3 couldn't win like that would be like saying Skyrim is just a refined version of Oblivion and that Arkham City is just an improved AA.
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Marge said:

Gwizz said: What about FIFA 12? I myself can't stand sports games but this has had awesome reviews almost everywhere I look


Yea, but that's more of a refined experience then a ground-breaking or amazing game. Same reason i don't think Uncharted will win. I'd think you would need more then a refined experience to beat other amazing games.


yeah your right Uncharted wont win BUT Uncharted 3 will win and why its because its the greatest game ever made
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Stealth Force Edition

Ben said:

Marge said:

Gwizz said: What about FIFA 12? I myself can't stand sports games but this has had awesome reviews almost everywhere I look


Yea, but that's more of a refined experience then a ground-breaking or amazing game. Same reason i don't think Uncharted will win. I'd think you would need more then a refined experience to beat other amazing games.


Uncharted 3 is a whole new game though, whereas Fifa 12 and all sports games build on what was done last year - that's why they never win overall.
Saying Uncharted 3 couldn't win like that would be like saying Skyrim is just a refined version of Oblivion and that Arkham City is just an improved AA.



I think Marge's point is valid, FIFA 12 won't win it for the same reason as MW3 won't - both franchises are released on a yearly basis with essentially the same gameplay etc. Skyrim on the other hand has been in developement for about 4 years or so and has almost completely overhauled every gameplay mechanic from Oblivion.
Uncharted 3 is the same as the other ones. Nothing 'new' has been added to the gameplay. Its pretty much like every other TPS, except it is one of the best in terms of story and execution. Even though you can say all of the contenders are just improved sequels, games like Zelda and Portal 2 are in leagues of their own in terms of creativity and 'uniqueness'. Uncharted is just a very good tps, hence why i don't think it could beat some of the more individualistic contenders.

PS fanboys
Not saying it's a bad game, just that it's not as unique as the other options
AFL Live for GOTY.
I definitely agree with Fifa and MW3. Those follow exactly the same formula as last year's game. I just wouldn't include Uncharted 3 in the same category as those - it's certainly more deserving and changes more than you think (not saying it's my pick or should win, just shouldn't be likened to a sports game or annual FPS).

Skyrim and Zelda are then again a step above and drastically change the gameplay (maybe not Zelda as much as you think, the core will be the same).

But you have to remember that Uncharted is narrative based and Zelda and Skyrim are all about the gamplay. It's easy to forget as an aspect when all the other games mentioned here have a narrative that plays second fiddle to the action.

Marge said: Uncharted 3 is the same as the other ones. Nothing 'new' has been added to the gameplay. Its pretty much like every other TPS, except it is one of the best in terms of story and execution. Even though you can say all of the contenders are just improved sequels, games like Zelda and Portal 2 are in leagues of their own in terms of creativity and 'uniqueness'. Uncharted is just a very good tps, hence why i don't think it could beat some of the more individualistic contenders.
PS fanboys
Not saying it's a bad game, just that it's not as unique as the other options


and here is a person who comments on a platform that you dont even own could it be that your just a wee bit jealous that you cant have this on xbox or steam i think so (play the game 1st before you dis a game)

Bayonetta said:

Marge said: Uncharted 3 is the same as the other ones. Nothing 'new' has been added to the gameplay. Its pretty much like every other TPS, except it is one of the best in terms of story and execution. Even though you can say all of the contenders are just improved sequels, games like Zelda and Portal 2 are in leagues of their own in terms of creativity and 'uniqueness'. Uncharted is just a very good tps, hence why i don't think it could beat some of the more individualistic contenders.
PS fanboys
Not saying it's a bad game, just that it's not as unique as the other options


and here is a person who comments on a platform that you dont even own could it be that your just a wee bit jealous that you cant have this on xbox or steam i think so (play the game 1st before you dis a game)



Don't turn this into a console war, please.

A very healthy debate on what elements are important in choosing a GOTY. Everybody's entitled to their opinion :)

winga26 said: AFL Live for GOTY.



You be trolling [Shifty]

If we arrange early, hopefully we will have member voting for game of the year this year. It could actually be in contention for best new IP (seeing how it's a new series of AFL and all)
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
@ben
Don't turn this into a console war, please.

A very healthy debate on what elements are important in choosing a GOTY. Everybody's entitled to their opinion :)
yes you are so right but im just pointing out that if you havent played the game dont make a comment i havent played portal or Zelda and never ever would so there for i will not comment on those
batman
Toss up between batman or uncharted 3..............an im picking uncharted 3, that game has been getting 10's all over the place
Portal 2 for GoTY
Uncharted 3 for Best TPS
BF3 for Best FPS
Assassins Creed for best Adventure

Bloard said: Portal 2 for GoTY
Uncharted 3 for Best TPS
BF3 for Best FPS
Assassins Creed for best Adventure



There is no way bf3 will get fps goty. Im not an expert but I've found it's super buggy campaign. And multiplayer is terrible on xbox. I'm trading it in when I get mw3

Gwizz said:


Bloard said: Portal 2 for GoTY
Uncharted 3 for Best TPS
BF3 for Best FPS
Assassins Creed for best Adventure


There is no way bf3 will get fps goty. Im not an expert but I've found it's super buggy campaign. And multiplayer is terrible on xbox. I'm trading it in when I get mw3


Im talking about BF3 on PC... the one that was actually good :P
Also its pretty much between MW3 and BF3 and MW3 sure as hell isnt taking FPSoTY from BF3.
Xbox BF3 imagine is 90% CoD scrubs running around scratching their prepubescent balls filling in time for MW3
uncharted 3 should get a goty for third person shooter
there are other FPS' in contention for fps goty i would think. Hard Reset is FPS yes? Is Deus ex FPS aswell?

Bayonetta said:
and here is a person who comments on a platform that you dont even own could it be that your just a wee bit jealous that you cant have this on xbox or steam i think so (play the game 1st before you dis a game)


I'm complementing the game you delusional ignoramus. :P I'm just saying it isn't as unique as other contenders ... which it isn't (unless you want to tell me to "play the game" again).

My GOTY's for the platforms are(only out of released games so far):
Wii: De Blob 2 ( :'@ :'@ :'@ )
360: Gears 3
PS3: Uncharted 3
PC: Portal 2
Indie game: Binding of Issac/Gemini Rue/Hard Reset

I haven't played my 360 or the PS3 enough recently to remember any earlier releases for them.
No i think NCIS will be GOTY

Marge said:
I'm complementing the game you delusional ignoramus. I'm just saying it isn't as unique as other contenders ... which it isn't (unless you want to tell me to "play the game" again).
My GOTY's for the platforms are(only out of released games so far, and exclusives. My GOTY could still be a multi-platform game):
PC: Portal 2


Portal 2 isn't a PC exclusive...
and De Blob 2 isn't a Wii exclusive...

unless I misunderstood what you're trying to say...
to be honest with you ... i'm probably being retarded. fixed :P

I think i put that in there as a cryptic way of saying i don't know if any of those will be GOTY overall winner
De blob 2? [Shifty]
if you're not counting Skyward Sword yet you'd have to say Xenoblade! ;)
So far UC3 for me.
Uncharted 3 for me...dead set.
 
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Featured PS3 Content

Destiny beta - What do you think?

Destiny beta - What do you think?

4 days ago Polls 1 4
Google is buying Twitch for $1 billion (via YouTube)
Gryllis 3 hours News 2 4
PS4 update adds 3D Blu-ray support next week

PS4 update adds 3D Blu-ray support next week

Gryllis 3 hours News 0 2
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes AU date
Gryllis 3 hours News 1 4
Destiny beta now open to everyone (no codes required)

Destiny beta now open to everyone (no codes required)

Gryllis 4 hours News 6 13
Why was Battlefield: Hardline delayed? EA responds

Why was Battlefield: Hardline delayed? EA responds

Tano 22 hours News 4 21
CoD: Advanced Warfare 1080 screen shows exoskeleton

CoD: Advanced Warfare 1080 screen shows exoskeleton

Gryllis 1 day News 1 18
What makes Destiny so compelling?

What makes Destiny so compelling?

Tano 1 day Articles 4 20
Should more game franchises be retired (then rebooted)?

Should more game franchises be retired (then rebooted)?

Gryllis 3 days Articles 9 11

Community Content

A New Era For MMGN: Our New HQ

A New Era For MMGN: Our New HQ

23/06/2014 Blog 16 1

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

K4ZMA, maxiboy commented on Google is buying Twitch for $1 billion (via YouTube)

K4ZMA 2 hours ago
Username

Daemoroth just unlocked the Welcomed achievement!

Daemoroth 2 hours ago
Username

Tano, Gryllis commented on Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - Red Band Trailer

Tano 2 hours ago
Username

1wiierdguy is now Level 19!

1wiierdguy 4 hours ago
Username

commented on Why was Battlefield: Hardline delayed? EA responds

Shadow99 5 hours ago
Username

1wiierdguy is now Level 19!

1wiierdguy 19 hours ago
Username

chris991 is selling - GTA V PS3

chris991 1 day ago
Username

chris991 just unlocked the Convincing Salesman achievement!

chris991 1 day ago