I just spent $500 on a game.

17986 Views 185 Posts PS3 Software
Yes game, not console.

Managed to find someone who has a copy of NBA Elite 11 which was cancelled. It is regarded as the rarest of all PS3 games, and i am hoping it is an astute investment.

If not i just paid a shit load of money for a poor game lolz

UPDATE 28/4/11

Ok guys the game arrived today at my wife's work.

When i get home tonight i will post pics of the disc and the game on my tv.

Following this i am going to write a review of the game for MMGN - how is that for a scoop - to be the only website with a review of the game. Actually, am i breaking any laws by writing a review of a game that was never released?

If admin could advise that would be great.

UPDATE 23 May 2011!

Having received my sealed copy i have now posted my unsealed copy for auction on ebay. Anyone interested can take a look at:

cgi.ebay.com.au/...

UPDATE 11/11/11

Got my sealed copy back from VGA today. Graded and sealed here she is:

SlappyWag said: How can they afford to cancel a game that is essentially finished, waiting for release?

It's all about branding and quality control. I think it was a good move on behalf of EA. They decided not to release a game that just wasn't that good. This is the good side of publishers -- they ensure quality control of their own products. Lack of publishers and lack of decisions like this actually contributed to the video game crash in the 80s. Games like NBA Elite 11 would have been released by the developer, despite its shitness. In this case, the publisher stopped it.

And I don't think they would have felt much in terms of a loss, considering the licensing would already have been paid for, and there had been little to no marketing. Still would have been a loss, but not as bad a loss than what would have been had the game been released and critically panned, contributing to an irreversible negative branding.
True Crime: Hong Kong was finished but Activision just cancelled it, probably Activision mite sell it to another company.
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

ResEvilfan said:

way_maker said: Yes game, not console.
Managed to find someone who has a copy of NBA Elite 11 which was cancelled. It is regarded as the rarest of all PS3 games, and i am hoping it is an astute investment.

you rich ?

To my definition not really. Paying a mortgage with the wife and about to make an offer on another property but that is pretty standard.

But i do know a potential good buy when i see one.

Gaetano said:

SlappyWag said: How can they afford to cancel a game that is essentially finished, waiting for release?

It's all about branding and quality control. I think it was a good move on behalf of EA. They decided not to release a game that just wasn't that good. This is the good side of publishers -- they ensure quality control of their own products. Lack of publishers and lack of decisions like this actually contributed to the video game crash in the 80s. Games like NBA Elite 11 would have been released by the developer, despite its shitness. In this case, the publisher stopped it.
And I don't think they would have felt much in terms of a loss, considering the licensing would already have been paid for, and there had been little to no marketing. Still would have been a loss, but not as bad a loss than what would have been had the game been released and critically panned, contributing to an irreversible negative branding.

Hmmmmm i dunno.
I think a lot of damage has been done by the cancellation itself. I used to play both NBA Live and 2K basketball games but im going to very very cautious about the next EA installment. Perhaps more damage would have been done through the release though.
I've seen a few of these on ebay myself but i wouldn't bother to be honest, prove me wrong but i can't see it being worth a lot in years to come.

I can't see any titles from the digital age (internet etc) being as rare as games from the 80s when there was no net to communicate info on rare and available titles.

As soon as NBA Elite was cancelled people knew there were copies out and about and people who wanted them snapped them up. Back in the day you wouldn't of had much of a clue if it was gonna be rare or not making them imo far rarer titles.

Trying to type that tired at 4am was hard @_@ :P time for bed me thinks.
I feel sick.
@way_maker you think that because you pay attention to the news. A majority of the market that would have bought NBA Elite wouldn't even realise it's been canceled. If there is no NBA Live, there is no way to actually damage the brand. The only risk is by decreasing it's worth, but not really damaging it.

I just hope they go back to NBA Live. NBA Elite is a terrible name.

Wow i thought spending $670 on GT5 signature edition and a G27+Stand was alot :E
But $500 for a stupid sports game [Facepalm], You sir need your head checked.
ROFL if they release it =_=

Dicky said: I've seen a few of these on ebay myself but i wouldn't bother to be honest, prove me wrong but i can't see it being worth a lot in years to come.
I can't see any titles from the digital age (internet etc) being as rare as games from the 80s when there was no net to communicate info on rare and available titles.
As soon as NBA Elite was cancelled people knew there were copies out and about and people who wanted them snapped them up. Back in the day you wouldn't of had much of a clue if it was gonna be rare or not making them imo far rarer titles.
Trying to type that tired at 4am was hard time for bed me thinks.

What i am reading on the net is that there are only 8 confirmed copies to date. That is amazingly rare in this day and age and a good bet to go through the roof in value UNLESS thousands more start showing up. That has not happened yet.

Like i said i acknowledge there is a risk i wasted my money but a risk i was willing to take.

I<3HW said: I feel sick.

Why?
I say good on you mate. It is your money and I hope you make a killer profit down the track.

way_maker said:

Why?

So. Much. Money. On a game.

I<3HW said:

way_maker said:

Why?

I just spent $500 on a game.

I<3HW said:

way_maker said:

Why?

Not even a good game at that [Facepalm]

W84NO1 said:

I<3HW said:

way_maker said:

Why?

Not even a good game at that

haha must have been shit to cancel it. Oh well, he's happy.

SONY said:

I<3HW said:

way_maker said:

Why?

So says the man with a million Gamecube's? :P

I think it's a great investment. Come back in 20 years with your $10k check and show everyone.
Holy sheet! can u show us a picture of the game?

PS3K said: Holy sheet! can u show us a picture of the game?

This. I want to see what it looks like.

Gaetano said:

SONY said:

I<3HW said:

way_maker said:

Why?

So says the man with a million Gamecube's?
I think it's a great investment. Come back in 20 years with your $10k check and show everyone.

+1
I say good on you mate !!
A nice find and a nice buy !!

Clearly a lot of people here have little understanding of what makes something Valuable or Collectable.

Think of all the Elderly out there that spend thousands of dollars on stamps, coins and creepy looking dolls dressed in Lace.

One day we will all be old and senile and blowing large sums of cash on Collectibles, except it will probably shift more towards games etc for our generation as that's what we would connect more with..............

You may think this guy is stupid now but in years to come there will be others even more stupid that will pay 10x or more what he originally paid for it.............

If I could have grabbed a copy, I would have done the same.

Congrats Mate ;)
ill give you 20 bucks and a combination fried rice
I'll give you 1 dollar.
I'll give you 499 dollars!

you did pay a shit load of money for a poor game.
it was poor that it got cancelled.
its not the greatest game in the world, but its prob half decent and its rare, but in terms of the actual game, its prob poor lolol...
wow some people are crazy
wow... the negative posts in this thread is appalling.

@way_maker: good find... only 8 copies made? lets hope it stays that way and you'll be a happy man come 10 years time :)

Featured PS3 Content

Your most wanted game of November?

Your most wanted game of November?

29/10/2014 Polls 17 26
Assassin’s Creed Rogue review – After doing Unity
Gryllis 1 day Reviews 0 7
Advanced Warfare the highest-selling digital launch ever

Advanced Warfare the highest-selling digital launch ever

Gryllis 2 days News 4 7
Try Destiny now for free

Try Destiny now for free

Jayden27 2 days News 2 6
Bladestorm: Nightmare scares up Australian release date
Jayden27 3 days News 0 5
GTA V Remastered: The history of Grand Theft Auto

GTA V Remastered: The history of Grand Theft Auto

Tano 3 days News 1 8
PS4 needs more casual games to fill Wii void - Sony

PS4 needs more casual games to fill Wii void - Sony

Gryllis 3 days News 1 6
GTA V patch fixes transfer issue for PS4, Xbox One soon
Gryllis 4 days News 0 5
Dragon Age: Inquisition Essential Tips

Dragon Age: Inquisition Essential Tips

Jayden27 4 days Articles 1 7

Community Content

Awesome Gaming Stuff Of Tomorrow, Today! Vol. 3

Awesome Gaming Stuff Of Tomorrow, Today! Vol. 3

02/09/2014 Blog 11 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

Nikolca wants My Horse and Me 2

Nikolca 12 hours ago
Username

Nikolca got My Horse and Me 2

Nikolca 12 hours ago
Username

zurczner, K4ZMA commented on Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Season 2 Slated for 2016

zurczner 23 hours ago
Username

Blak's article - Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Season 2 Slated for 2016 has been featured by K4ZMA, great job!

K4ZMA 1 day ago
Username

Skidmark, kangle4, espi_band, Olly commented on New Nintendo 3DS (XL) review – Should you buy one?

Skidmark 1 day ago
Username

Gryllis added a photo - Blimp-on-Blimp

Gryllis 2 days ago
Username

Mik3y, Armige commented on New Nintendo 3DS (XL) review – Should you buy one?

Mik3y 2 days ago