PS3 fan problems

Hey guys
a mate of mine has had problems with his ps3 fat 40gb model. It runs MAXIMUM speed after 5mins (same speed as the fan test), this obviously indicates that it is overheating. My question is why, considering the air blowing out is not hot. I was thinking it could be dust buildup, poor thermal paste, faulty temp sensor?
Sounds like a heating issue to me. PS3s have a built in thermostat to ensure they are always running at optimum temperature and if the air coming out isn't hot I'd say it's currently not able to heat itself enough.
The fans are actually trying to suck warm air in, rather than blow it out, indicating that it is not nearly warm enough. The air around your PS3 should feel slightly warm (but not too hot).
I'd recommend wrapping a towel or two tightly around it. If it can't warm up it is likely to start running very slowly and your games will lag or freeze.
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

chuz said: Sounds like a heating issue to me. PS3s have a built in thermostat to ensure they are always running at optimum temperature and if the air coming out isn't hot I'd say it's currently not able to heat itself enough.
The fans are actually trying to suck warm air in, rather than blow it out, indicating that it is not nearly warm enough. The air around your PS3 should feel slightly warm (but not too hot).
I'd recommend wrapping a towel or two tightly around it. If it can't warm up it is likely to start running very slowly and your games will lag or freeze.


+1
sounds like the thermo is ****ed. send it to me, I will fix it for $35. pm me for details.

vyma100 said: sounds like the thermo is ****ed. send it to me, I will fix it for $35. pm me for details.


i have the same problem and want to know if i got you to fix it would i lose every thing on my hdd?
although the air isnt hot it could just be the silicon heat paste is dried up and not working as it should to transfer the heat from the GPU & CPU to the heat sink. fix it before it YLoD's on you.

I doubt your thermo is stuffed. just re-do the paste and it should do the trick.

@ BCB
no it wont lose your HDD data

bcb said:

vyma100 said: sounds like the thermo is ****ed. send it to me, I will fix it for $35. pm me for details.


i have the same problem and want to know if i got you to fix it would i lose every thing on my hdd?



you would keep everything on your hdd.
Sorry if I cut your grass Vyma (I dont like to come between a man and his money).........

I live at the top of Oz (Very Very Hot up here) My PS3 runs hot all the time (Fan running full tilt) but has never over heated.

If it is bothering you GAME have PS3 fan's on sale for $19 at the moment....... Though I've never used one of them...... Maybe someone else on here know's if they are any good ?
I have one of those PS3 fans i bough when they first came out at EBgames. Now ever since i have used it i only once experienced a freeze with a game (Uncharted 2) and while i was playing sometimes the high speed fan would kick in only happened a couple of times but i find that if u do the FAN TEST on the PS3 every month or so u can avoid the build up of dust in it and can keep ur system fresh
i usually spray some County Air freshener around it. ahhhh best smell ever...oh u can forget about the last part everything else is real xD
how do you do the fan test?
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

capt_oats said: how do you do the fan test?


You turn the PS3 off at the back and hold down the eject button while turing it back on.
only works on 40 and 80gb models, haven't tested it on 120gb + models yet.

to get a 60gb to do you must tilt it on it side, so that the cd drive is closer to the ground then the usb, takes around a minute. The fan kicks into high gear due to lack of airflow.

AUSSIE-DOG said: Sorry if I cut your grass Vyma (I dont like to come between a man and his money).........
I live at the top of Oz (Very Very Hot up here) My PS3 runs hot all the time (Fan running full tilt) but has never over heated.
If it is bothering you GAME have PS3 fan's on sale for $19 at the moment....... Though I've never used one of them...... Maybe someone else on here know's if they are any good ?



shut up ****. LOL jokes, I don't mind mate, all opinions are valid. you are doing pretty well mate with that heat. those fans you talk of flow in the wrong direction to do any good. albeit they make a slight difference to the ambient temp, the push dust into the system, and where they are blowing air into the console (it doesn't go anywhere)

If you fan is running fast all day and it is hot, then don't stress, if your fan is running fast and the temp is normally below 30. I would be wondering why? and the most common problem is heatspots on the heatsinks.


when i was playing sacred 2, the game qiucqly froze then the ps3 went to the yellow light on the right side then it qiucly went to normal solid red and i think it was flashing for a few seconds first
(the red light),so any way when i pressed the ON buttun the ps3 started up again normally.
is this a ps3 threatning problem.

i did buy the lightstand/fan combo few weeks ago.

shannoboxr said: when i was playing sacred 2, the game qiucqly froze then the ps3 went to the yellow light on the right side then it qiucly went to normal solid red and i think it was flashing for a few seconds first
(the red light),so any way when i pressed the ON buttun the ps3 started up again normally.
is this a ps3 threatning problem.

(unrelated)i did buy the lightstand/fan combo few weeks ago.


well the problem is your playing sacred 2... ps3 must be trying to suicide
got my ps3 3 years ago & has not ****ed up once
My PS3 has never missed a beat but i found when i recently had holidays and thrashed mw2 since it just came out it froze a few times which it has never done before.

Any ideas why vyma100? it was warm on the day but at the same time had the a/c on so the room shouldnt have been to hot, mind you it did get played for many hrs on end and hasnt seemed to do it recently although i havent played it for a long period of time recently. I put my room fan facing the front of the console and had it on low and then it seemed fine.

Should i do the fan test i have never done it in 2yrs, i read it can wreck your console but i havent actually looked into it properly.

shannoboxr said:

shannoboxr said: when i was playing sacred 2, the game qiucqly froze then the ps3 went to the yellow light on the right side then it qiucly went to normal solid red and i think it was flashing for a few seconds first
(the red light),so any way when i pressed the ON buttun the ps3 started up again normally.
is this a ps3 threatning problem.
(unrelated)i did buy the lightstand/fan combo few weeks ago.




hey mate had the exact same problem with my 60gb one, as mine ran out of warranty ages ago i took it apart... got rid of the old paste on both cpu and put some new one on (arctic silver or whatever i had lol)... clean the fan (wasnt as dusty as i thought it was lol) , put it together again and has been running fine even during the heatwave last week with no other fan blowing onto the console... could hear the fan maxed out for awhile then went back normal again... glad i took my one apart otherwise off to the shops for the slim lol

for those who has ps3 that is out of warranty and know something about building pc's why not give it a try, taking it apart was easy (google it for instructions, plenty there with pics)
Does anyone know where the integrated thermostat is on the 80 gb console?
yep, inside the ps3
My PS3 40 GB refurb was running full speed fans for 2 years non-stop and eventually gave in. I say listen to Vyma and send it to him. Top bloke as well.

vyma100 said: yep, inside the ps3



Sage advice.
someone asking that question...knows too much [Shifty]
 
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Featured PS3 Content

GOTY 2015: Best Game Of 2015

GOTY 2015: Best Game Of 2015

22/12/2015 Polls 18 15
Friendly Fire Show 122: The Finale

Friendly Fire Show 122: The Finale

Podcast 21/03 Articles 25 6
Friendly Fire Show 121
Podcast 15/03 Articles 13 3
MMGN.com in 2016 - Why there is no new content

MMGN.com in 2016 - Why there is no new content

MMGN 14/03 News 37 21
Australian game sales approach $3b, mostly digital
maxiboy 13/03 News 19 11
Target store in SA displays games in plain packaging

Target store in SA displays games in plain packaging

maxiboy 13/03 News 12 12
Friendly Fire Show 120: I swear, by the Sun and Moon...
Podcast 02/03 Articles 12 1
Friendly Fire Show 119: Weekend at Tano

Friendly Fire Show 119: Weekend at Tano's

Podcast 23/02 Articles 10 1
Friendly Fire Show 118: R.I.P. Tano

Friendly Fire Show 118: R.I.P. Tano

Podcast 11/02 Articles 8 4

Community Content

Fallout-themed excuses to get the day off

Fallout-themed excuses to get the day off

09/11/2015 Blog 31 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

abymylove is now Level 14!

abymylove 23 mins ago
Username

chatale is now Level 14!

chatale 2 hours ago
Username

drhgh is now Level 17!

drhgh 2 hours ago
Username

abymylove is now Level 13!

abymylove 3 hours ago
Username

chatale is now Level 13!

chatale 5 hours ago
Username

abymylove is now Level 12!

abymylove 5 hours ago
Username

chatale is now Level 12!

chatale 7 hours ago
Username

abymylove is now Level 11!

abymylove 7 hours ago
Username

chatale is now Level 11!

chatale 8 hours ago
Username

abymylove is now Level 10!

abymylove 9 hours ago