Game Of The Year Results: You decided

by Gaetano 'Xbot' Prestia Featured 42 Comments 39 Votes 2833 Views 06/01/2014 Back to News

After three weeks, MMGN members have finally determined 2013's best game.

Which games came out on top? Here are the final results:

Best Game of 2013

Best PlayStation Exclusive

Honourable Mention: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Best PC Exclusive

Honourable Mention: Gone Home

Best Indie Game

Honourable Mention: Gone Home

Do you agree with the results? Which games would you like to have seen get up?

Link to us http://PS3.mmgn.com/News/game-of-the-year-results-you-decided
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

Game Of The Year Results: You decided Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
Best Multiplayer: GTAV.
Lolz, GTA online doesn't work.
yesssss me like very much so
I'm pleased to see Last of Us take home the main prize. GTA5 doesn't deserve it.

SlappyWag said: Best Multiplayer: GTAV.
Lolz, GTA online doesn't work.

Yeah I didn't get that either :P Fun when it does work, though.
GT6 best racing game?

Otherwise I agree.
Meh... -_-

MMGN = Too many Sony fanboys

GT6 best racing game lol [Facepalm] Jeez F1 2013 was better and GRID 2 (love)

and The Last Of Us? yeah it was a great experience but hardly fun compared to other titles this year... GoTY? HELL NO!!!
Lo33
Forza 5 should have beaten GT6
The last of us dominated! I'm happy

Gryllis said: Although The Last of Us didn't really feel like a GOTY to me. Great experience, but I can't say it was "fun" as such. I'm glad I played it, but I had a lot more fun with the other contenders this year.

same... it was too tense for me and i felt alot of pressure all the way through conserving ammo supplies and not knowing when to use it.

GTA5 was good cos it was alot of fun and i didnt have to worry about ammunition or anything cos you just buy more.

i can see why last of us won though

Huddo said:

i can see why last of us won though

Coz it has dem feels
Deserving winners.
Didn't play Last of Us. Probably should have.

Olly said: Meh...
MMGN = Too many Sony fanboys
GT6 best racing game lol

y so mad?
GT 6 beating Forza 5 =D

Sony & Ninty cleaned up, that was always going to happen.

iSR said: Didn't play Last of Us. Probably should have.

Yes you should, imo its better than any next gen game out right now.
Resogun doesn't deserve it.

Backed up by the hype of being the only good indie game on a new console.

Fun game but not even in the top 10 for the year.
The Last Of Us really deserved the title however I wish Knack won lol as I have had more fun with that game than any other this year
Yawn Last of Us.... Played the game/movie/thing and it was good. To many forced emotions and The fallout series did the apocalypse setting better.
Best Multiplayer, and best game GTFO -_-
Pokemon over Zelda was an interesting choice.

Both kind of did the same thing though, revitalized an old formula.
Blob
MMGN's so mainstream [MOG]
Surprised GT6 took the gong, all other categories went pretty much as I expected.
Jet

Olly said: Meh...
MMGN = Too many Sony fanboys
GT6 best racing game lol Jeez F1 2013 was better and GRID 2

Yeah its the sony 'fanboys' fault that The last of us won. Nothing to do with the fact that its an incredible game. I guess kotaku, destructioid, gamespot, videogamer.com, gamesradar ect ect are full of sony fanyboys too. It couldn't be anything to do with the fact its a great game hey. You really are quite sad, a ps game was better than anything that came out on xbox this year, get over it.

Jet said:

Each to their own, everyone is entitled to their opinion, hardly sad for it.

I can name you plenty of games that didn't come out on Xbox and were better than The Last Of Us, to me that game was full of forced, scripted emotions and very linear. It was beautifully told but we are gamers, games are about fun, value for money and replay ability at least imo.

Super Mario 3D World

Bioshock Infinite

Ni No Kuni

Grand Theft Auto V

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Gone Home

The Stanley Parable

Quoting Kotaku where TLOU was almost beaten by Monster Girl Quest 3 :P [Derp]

Anyway though, my reason on the Sony Fanboy quote is due to GT6 being best racing game...
Why people can't have an opinion without being 'sad' or 'angry' is beyond me :S
Maybe some of you need to get out more :S
Jet

Olly said:

Jet said:

Each to their own, everyone is entitled to their opinion, hardly sad for it.
Super Mario 3D World
Bioshock Infinite
Ni No Kuni
Grand Theft Auto V
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Gone Home
The Stanley Parable
Quoting Kotaku where TLOU was almost beaten by Monster Girl Quest 3
Why people can't have an opinion without being 'sad' or 'angry' is beyond me
Maybe some of you need to get out more

lol Value for money is hardy a relevant criteria, not every game is going to have 100s of hours of playability. I think TLOU took me around 18hrs on my play through, which works out to about $4.50 an hour, that's if I don't even touch the MP. I can't see anything to complain about there.

Also, it would be nearly impossible to tell a story as strong as 'the last of us' in an open world environment, I just can't see it working.

I can't comment on the racing game results, I haven't played much of those lately so I didn't vote. I would have also expected a 'next gen' sim to be rated higher than a 'last gen' sim all I can say is maybe the micro transactions got people off side ( I know they piss me off).

The reason your so, ah, outspoken on here is because you make ridiculous comments without backing them up with any fact other than your rather one-side thoughts. Having an opinion is fine but saying everyone else is wrong because you think otherwise is where people get annoyed. oh and I get out plenty, thanks :)
Satisfied.

Not too many surprises for me.
Very surprised the majority of the community chose GT6 to "win", not that I've played either Forza5 or GT6 though...just a little surprised...I guess there wasn't much on offer anyway.

Naughty Dog....winning the last [of us] generation!!! :D *_*
ARMA 3... LOL. Please

bylim5 said: ARMA 3... LOL. Please

Have you played it?

What would yours be?

iSR said:

bylim5 said: ARMA 3... LOL. Please

Have you played it?
What would yours be?

Gone Home/Stanley Parable

Jet said:

Look lets get some facts straight before this gets out of hand. It's not the first time you have jumped on my back defending your precious Playstation, you have an issue with me i get it your not the first believe me. I'm no Sony hater, i'm far from it actually.
With the subject of The Last Of Us i liked it, it was a good game i just don't agree that it was Game Of The Year material. Yes i found it short, scripted and linear and yes i thought it lacked replayability. The plot imo was predictable and the gameplay was shallow. These are my opinions, no one elses. An opinion doesn't have to be fact nor does it have to fall in line with others.
I think you are taking this way out of proportion and thats fine, you do what @Jet does.
Talking about facts again you aim the tired Xbox fanboy moniker at me suggesting i believe Forza 5 should have won the racing game category by calling out the fact it had microtransactions hence its loss even though they have been all but remedied compared to then still featured in GT6.

But yeah i never said anyone was wrong and above, you have the reason behind my comments. I'm kinda done with this boring conversation now so go play elsewhere would you please?
Shame there aren't enough Fire Emblem fans. Oh well it's still my Handheld GOTY, RPG GOTY and Overall GOTY
I needs to getz on Mario 3D world!! [Rage]

Olly said:
lThe plot imo was predictable and the gameplay was shallow. These are my opinions, no one elses. An opinion doesn't have to be fact nor does it have to fall in line with others.

Wow you found Last of Us predictable? I found it anything but? I found it shocking me on more than one occasion.

I think it's well earned GOTY spot. GTA 5 was great but just didnt hit me as LOU did.

Jet said:

Olly said:

Jet said:

Each to their own, everyone is entitled to their opinion, hardly sad for it.
Super Mario 3D World
Bioshock Infinite
Ni No Kuni
Grand Theft Auto V
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Gone Home
The Stanley Parable
Quoting Kotaku where TLOU was almost beaten by Monster Girl Quest 3
Why people can't have an opinion without being 'sad' or 'angry' is beyond me
Maybe some of you need to get out more

I'm not sure whats more funny. The fact that you said that The last of us has an Open world environment or the fact that well actually the open world environment part.

Luke1993 said:

They didn't, they said it would be impossible to tell the story in an open world enviroment
actually Last of Us is pretty predictable at times.

Nearly everyone you encounter pretty much ends up dead, either killed by you, killed by their own means.

I suck with names.

The girl you were with at the start. All through the reviews all i heard was Joel and Ellie, Joel and Ellie. I never really heard much about Joel's partner at the start. I figured either she gets shot, taken down by the dead, or she sacrifices in order for you guys to get away.

The brothers you meet at the start. I knew one of them would get bitten and i knew on the night/next day, we'd see the kid try to get ellie, Joel or Ellie would kill him, and the older brother well he wouldn't be able to live on his on knowing everything he did and went through was all for nothing.

The guy with the machette, i knew there was no way you could become allies it was going to come down between Joel and him, or Ellie would kill him like she did.

The fireflies would use Ellie like an experiment and pretty much we'd do the same. after all everybody wants to know the cure, what's the life of a child if they can save millions, oldest trick in the book.

Also you had to be an idiot if you didn't know that Joel and Ellie would end up getting along at the end and looking out for each other. It's the most obvious story arc.

The only thing that really did shock me was Joel's daughter getting killed off. Then again i guess they needed something for Joel to be such a hard ass at the start. Death of a daughter would do that.

That being said it is still a great game for a one off, lol since i've finished it i haven't picked it up again lol. I feel it gets too much praise, most of the time it felt like a movie or a cross between Walking Dead and Revolution TV Show and not a game.

Also I much prefer Uncharted.

bylim5 said:

iSR said:

bylim5 said: ARMA 3... LOL. Please

Have you played it?
What would yours be?

Gone Home/Stanley Parable

OK I love both those games but they are not even close. Its a PC exclusive, either of those games could just as easily be played on consolr,. ARMA3? No ****ing way. Not just that but A3 is a PURE game made for PC the likes of which no longer exist in the mainstream, the replay value is massive in comparison due to the modding support and everything about the game screams PC. Its also a massive improvement on ARMA2 - again something you never see now.

Gone home and the Stanley parable were both superb bite sized masterpieces in their own right, but they were a one trick pony that could have Bern on any platform. ARMA is a vastly complex engine with massive versatility and endless community support which keeps it interesting way beyond what the other games could.

I get why some would prefer either of those titles, but to discount ARMA3 like it's funny that should win spot is just ignorance. Opinion aside, it objectively deserves to be there just as much as the other two.
every year different games same result.....butt hurt fan boys

Jet

Luke1993 said:

Jet said:

Olly said:

Jet said:

Each to their own, everyone is entitled to their opinion, hardly sad for it.
Super Mario 3D World
Bioshock Infinite
Ni No Kuni
Grand Theft Auto V
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Gone Home
The Stanley Parable
Quoting Kotaku where TLOU was almost beaten by Monster Girl Quest 3
Why people can't have an opinion without being 'sad' or 'angry' is beyond me
Maybe some of you need to get out more

I'm not sure what's more funny, that fact that you can't read or the fact that well actually the fact that you can't read.

Olly said:

Jet said:
The reason your so, ah, outspoken on here is because you make ridiculous comments without backing them up with any fact other than your rather one-side thoughts. Having an opinion is fine but saying everyone else is wrong because you think otherwise is where people gps4annoyed. oh and I get out plenty, thanks

OK honestly I'm over it as well, I don't defend particular console or brand. I usually just buy the most powerfull console of each gen. This is how console ownership has gone for me N64>ps1; Xbox>Ps2; ps3>360 and ps4>xbone.

I would jump on you for saying something stupid just as much as I'd jump on someone claiming the ps3 is better because of 'the CELL'. So no ones out to get you, chill.

Anyway it's a pointless conversation so I'm out.
@JPro
Really? In your spoiler points, the only one that was obvious ones to me is that The Girl at the start dying (knew she would die but didnt know she would sacrifice herself, i was thinking maybe a betrayal) and that Joel and Ellie would end up getting along the rest of them came as a shock. Maybe I'm just blind and think of the best possible outcome haha :'(

Though i do agree I haven't replayed SP it since finishing. I want to just to relive but don't know if i can go through it again...dem feels

Olly said: Meh...
MMGN = Too many Sony fanboys
GT6 best racing game lol Jeez F1 2013 was better and GRID 2

You hit the nail on the freaking head !